A successful VA/VE Engineer will perform engineering work in ideation, planning, and design to execute projects toward the increase of product value to customers, product quality and cost out to meet organizational goals. This position will have project leadership responsibilities, and as necessary, interface with other personnel in engineering, product management, sourcing, finance, suppliers, operations and other departments when additional support is needed.
• Lead and execute Cost-Out projects and/or Value Analysis-Value Engineering Projects (VA/VE). Increase value through cost elimination or improved product function.
• Identify waste opportunities across the Value Stream: suppliers / materials, logistics, product, manufacturing process, expenses / supplies, services and others.
• Proficiently use tools such as: LEAN, 6Sigma, Kaizen to identify, manage, and complete projects. Effectively communicates to stakeholders the projects progression. Work with project stakeholders to ensure that final product design meets all electrical, mechanical, cost, and safety requirements
• Drive projects that result in product and productivity cost improvements by utilizing VA/VE (Value Analysis / Value Engineering) methodologies, which focus on improving both existing product lines and new designs as a control for escalating material and labor costs, or improving product margins, while maintaining product integrity.
• Work with the department managers to develop and support the cost out strategies for the sites.
• Participate in budgeting and ROI analysis generation.
• Identify, support, and execute Plant and Product Management cost out activities/Projects.
• Provide Engineering design support for productivity improvement projects through effective participation on cross-functional cost out teams
• Lead Engineering efforts on critical direct material cost-out projects, including idea development, prototype, project execution, and plant/business system implementation.
• This position must work closely with new product engineering design teams, manufacturing, procurement, quality, testing, accounting, and suppliers.
• Execution of cost out projects includes definition, 3D CAD modeling, analysis, documentation/drafting, prototyping, test planning, debugging, qualification, and release to production within our Engineering Change and Risk Management processes.
• BS in Engineering (Mechanical, Industrial, Electrical)
• 5-7+ Years working in similar positions
• Experience with electro-mechanical products is a plus
• Proficiency with CAD (Inventor, Pro/E, Solidworks, etc)
• Organizational and planning skills
• Experience in a LEAN manufacturing environment
• Experience with UL/ETL certification process and applicable safety standards
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Computer skills using standard business software (including MS Office programs)
• Certification in VA/VE methodology or affiliation with SAVE International a plus.