Find Your Next Opportunity
Direct Hire, Contract, Contract to Hire
- Start your job search below
- Filter by Location, Remote Jobs, Keywords, and more. Save your keyword searches for automated notifications when new jobs are added.
Utility Permit Specialist - Remote in Michigan
Lansing, MI 48909 US | Fully Remote TELECOMMUTE US
Our Client, a Public Utility that provides natural gas and electricity to the majority of Michigan's 10 million residents is seeking a talented and self-driven individual for needs serving in the role of Utility Permit Specialist for a 12 Month + Contract opportunity.
Our client prefers candidates who have skills and knowledge of building or utility design and have an understanding of construction in the field and general engineering concepts.
This role will support the Gas Engineering Asset Planning department by performing technical support functions within the Permit Coordination team. The Permit Coordination team is responsible for reviewing all preplanned work for needed permits, applying for permits, detailed permit tracking, bond recovery, among many other functions that support the goals and objectives of Geospatial & Gas Asset Management (G&GAM).
This role will provide technical support and perform tasks including departmental workload balancing and organization, generation of various departmental reports at regular intervals, planning and coordination of meetings, and data audits to ensure statewide consistency. More complex support may include SAP workload monitoring and permit date management, visual management support and updates, business plan and metric reporting, and program specific milestone reporting.
- Monitor and utilize SAP tasks for each permit
- Complete check requests/bond requests & invoicing for jobs that have fees come in after the fact, including calculation of permit fees
- Notifies to city/state/township of construction dates
- Start notices
- Completion notices
- Database management for:
- Permit Tracking - ensure understanding of all permits applied for / received
- Inspection Escrow Tracking - ensure understanding of all outstanding inspection escrows to ensure proper refunds
- Bond Tracking - ensure understanding of all outstanding bonds / ensure refunds are requested and obtained
- Communicate with Restoration department on clean-up schedule
- Communicate with Scheduling on construction schedule
- Track and coordinate all permits and bonds so we can better understand and quantify the annual amount of work and spend in this area
- Deliver and pick up permits at Permit Agency buildings
- This position will primarily support the Livonia and Howell territories with the expectation to help other areas of the state when needed.
This position requires someone who is able to work independently, is a self-starter, able to respond in a fast paced environment with a desire to continually tackle new challenges. The ideal individual must have the ability to adjust tasks while maintaining full attention to detail and priorities. Role requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, sound judgment, ability to learn quickly, able to work independently with minimal direction, take initiative, and exercise good judgment and ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Strong communication, analytical, diagnostic, facilitation and computer skills are essential.
- Database management skills
- Valid driver's license with the ability to deliver and pick up permit packets
- Must be flexible, have demonstrated strong administrative skills and able to set priorities in a changing environment
- Organization and the ability to create, modify and utilize databases is a must.
- Experience utilizing SAP
- Experience utilizing MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, MS SharePoint, and MS Visio
- Experience utilizing Adobe Acrobat
- Experience utilizing Microstation
- Construction print reading and interpretation
Education and Experience *
- High School Diploma Required
- Associates Degree or higher education preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Access, and PC Proficient