Software Development Engineer
San Francisco, CA
With over 80 million members ,Client is the world's largest site for readers and book recommendations. As a Top 100 web destination, our mission is to help people find and share books they love. Client members can discover new books by seeing what their friends and members of the community are reading or by using the Client Book Recommendation Engine. Our platform also helps more than 220,000 authors to connect with readers.
The Foundation team at Client ensures that our rapidly growing user base experiences a website and mobile apps that are fast, secure and highly available. We build tools and processes that enable our engineers to quickly deliver features that delight our users. We implement site-wide projects that keep our infrastructure prepared for the challenges of tomorrow. The team is expanding its capabilities to building systems that handle large amounts of heterogeneous data and making it available across Client for the purposes of driving engineering innovation, operational efficiency & analytics. We are looking for a software engineer who is excited about creating tools & frameworks that enable the engineering team to be more productive while maintaining high quality. You should be comfortable working in an environment where code is pushed into production multiple times per day.
- BS in Computer Science or a related degree
- At least 3+ years in coding & software engineering in Java, Ruby or Python.
- At least 3+ years experience with caching, queuing, RPC frameworks and other building blocks of a large scale distributed systems.
- At least 2+ years hands-on experience working with data processing platforms like Hadoop, Spark, AWS Kinesis & AWS Lambda
- At least 2+ years with test-driven development
- Experience building tools & frameworks for a team of 30+ developers building features for a large-scale consumer website
- Experience with MySQL, Redis, Memcache and related web-backend technologies.
- Experience with streaming technologies like Kafka, Spark, Flink, Samza
- Experience with multiple Apache Hadoop applications like Hadoop, Hive, Oozie, Pig, Presto etc
- Experience with NoSQL AWS data stores like DynamoDB, CloudSearch, or their open source equivalents like Cassandra, HBase, Solr, or ElasticSearch
- Excellent written and verbal communication