Michigan, Grand Rapids-Muskegon-
Our West Michigan Lakeshore area based client is looking for a Project Engineer to join their growing team!
The Project Engineer is responsible for ensuring conforming products are sourced, developed, qualified, and delivered on-time to customers around the globe. This position incorporates elements from several disciplines: Development Engineering, Casting Design Engineering, Supplier Quality Engineering, Sales Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, and Dimensional Engineering.
This position reports directly to the Business Unit Manager in the US and supports Global Supply Unit Managers abroad.
1. Provide program management and value-added guidance for new development projects and Engineering Change Notices (ECN).
2. Responsible for both customer and supply chain support as the primary point of contact for technical issues.
3. Understand customer quality requirements and effectively communicate them to the global supply chain.
4. Participate in sales engineering activities and sourcing decisions per the company and Business Unit strategy.
5. Interact directly with the customer to verify compliance and capability of the global supply chain to satisfy customer requirements during APQP/PPAP process.
6. Review/approve PPAP submissions for new and existing products. Partner with the supply chain to resolve PPAP discrepancies and submit approved PPAPs to the customer.
7. Provide leadership in document control, including ECN and Process Change Requests (PCR) notices to ensure current revisions are in use. Implement and monitor best practices in change management.
8. First-responder to customer quality issues. Ensure timely responses to customer quality complaints or non-conformances. Collect and analyze relevant data and effectively communicate the issue to global supply chain.
9. Facilitate the 8D process with the global engineering team. Track supply chain corrective actions and drive to closure.
10. Monitor quality performance at both the customer and global supplier base. Report relevant information to management in a timely manner.
11. Track cost of non-conformances (cost of non-quality) at the customer level and effectively communicate this information to management in a timely manner.
12. Provide on-site customer and supply chain support with regards to quality issues and new product development as required.
13. Provide technical input during reviews of customer RFQ packages to include review of material
1. Specifications, GD&T, packaging, and overall cast-ability issues.
14. Provide technical and program management support of Quality objectives.
Bachelor s Degree in Engineering or Material Science
3+ years of experience
Knowledge of and working experience in metal castings of various processes preferred
Processes: Resin / Green / Vacuum Sand Castings, Investment Castings, Die Castings
Materials: Gray Iron, Steel, Ductile Iron, Aluminum
Knowledge of production CNC machining, set-ups, and programming preferred
Proficient in print reading and interpretation and part measurement
Knowledge of AIAG standards (PFD, FMEA, Control Plans, APQP)
Demonstrated knowledge of geometric design and tolerance and gage design and function
Demonstrated knowledge of probability, statistical quality control and design of experiments
Experience with Six Sigma tools and methodology
Familiarity with supplier quality standards, policies and procedures
Demonstrated ability to investigate quality problems and to apply sound technical judgment to develop possible solutions
Proficient oral and written communication skills
Demonstrated high level of interpersonal skills to effectively lead, motivate and facilitate others in group situations
High level of analytical ability to assess and identify appropriate alternative courses of action for definition and resolution of problems that are somewhat unique and diverse
Ability to exercise independent judgment is required
Ability to effectively organize and plan
Ability to travel (US and International) an estimated 15%-20% as needed.