Find Your Next Opportunity
Direct Hire, Contract, Contract to Hire
- Start your job search below
- Filter by Location, Remote Jobs, Keywords, and more. Save your keyword searches for automated notifications when new jobs are added.
Electronics & Firmware Engineer II
St. Petersburg, FL 33716 US
Electronics and Firmware Engineer II
Responsible for designing, assembling and evaluating electro-mechanical assemblies and test equipment to support new products as directed in written or schematic form by Electrical and/or Mechanical Engineers. Write firmware or software to perform program functions in products or test fixtures, automatic tests, data collection, database management. Responsible for test fixture design and construction which may include programming with a variety of languages. Writes test procedures for Production Assemblers, Technicians and Vendors to perform production testing. Provide advanced troubleshooting skills to support production with the ultimate goal to teach them how to be self-sufficient. Perform physical, electrical and/or environmental testing on prototype assemblies. Creates and maintains documentation at specification, functional, implementation and code levels for all projects. Establishes test and validation criteria and ensures complete documentation of data in properly maintained engineering logs. Responsible for electronic, mechanical, and electro-mechanical Printed Circuit Assembly design work, for new product development and changes to existing designs as assigned. Assists with sourcing and qualifying hard-to-find, and alternate components in full compliance with design requirements and agency approvals.
- 5+ years experience in C (ANSI) and C++ for various microcontroller architectures
- 5+ years experience in analog and digital circuit design
- Plans, schedules and carries out analog and digital circuit and embedded controller circuitry design projects as assigned.
- Performs PCB layout design.
- Design, fabricate, test and debug breadboards and models for new or modified products.
- Solder through-hole and basic surface mount components needed for design verification, troubleshooting and repair.
- Design test equipment to support new products in Engineering and Manufacturing including firmware, PC based software, including PCB design, wiring, etc.
- Design and write software for testing and validation of assemblies in test utilizing a variety of languages and platforms. (i.e. MSWindows, Labview, LabWindows, MS Excel, BASIC and other 3rd party applications)
- Participates in developing software and/or firmware in new product developments and modifying code in existing products.
- Provides all documentation artwork and NC files (tooling) necessary for production of PCAs such as detail drawings, fabrication artwork, assembly drawings and Bills of Material.
- Reviews and updates PCA design documents of existing products as part of ECO process.
- Assists with selection of alternates for unavailable, long lead time, or obsolete components.
- Test and troubleshoot electro-mechanical components and assemblies.
- Design and fabricate breadboards and models for new or modified products.
- Design and fabricate test fixtures for all phases of development and production.
- Create reports for test results.
- Select, test and evaluate newly sourced components.
- Validate manufacturer and vendor specifications for components and devices.
- Able to propose and implement approved modifications to existing designs.
- Conduct failure analysis for non-conforming components either in development or production.
- Prepare markups to schematics designs.
- Responsible for assigned design activities and deadlines as defined in the project statement of work.
- Assist to maintain Engineering records of all major revisions to electro-mechanical assemblies and key parts.
- Maintain a dated laboratory log of test results for all experiments.
- Maintain, in good order, all test and calibration equipment including tools, leads, engineering stock and test benches.
- Perform all other duties as assigned and approved by the Principal Electrical Engineer and Engineering Manager.
- Strong firmware/software design, architecture, and documentation experience and capabilities
- Strong analog and digital circuit design, component selection and PCB layout for high-speed digital, and low-noise analog devices, using professional ECAD software (preferably Altium Designer), including:
- Power supplies (switching and linear), battery chargers, fuel gauges.
- Optical, electrochemical, thermal, and high accuracy electrical current sensing.
- Display hardware, including LED indicators, LED segment displays, OLED and LCD panels.
- Electronic skills required for understanding and contributing to design and debugging.
- Strong electronic assembly skills as required for building, debugging and modifying prototype circuits.
- Proficient using: multimeter, oscilloscope, logic analyzer, electronic load, In-Circuit Debuggers (JTAG), DAQ, and soldering stations.
- Flexibility to work on multiple projects as directed.
- Ability to make independent judgment and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to have effective working relationships with all levels of personnel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong record keeping skills
- Working knowledge of programming languages such as:
- Microsoft Windows APIs, Labview, Labwindows, MSVisual BasicC, C++, C#
- Working knowledge of PC Applications: AutoDesk (AutoCAD, Inventor )
- Proficiency in Altium
- Preferred to have working knowledge of EMI/RFI design considerations and/or hazardous area certification standards
EDUCATION: 4 year Bachelor's Degree from accredited institution in the field of Electronics Engineering.