District Property Manager
Grand Rapids, MI
The District Property Manager oversees the daily operations of a portfolio of apartment communities, including financial, employee and facilities management. Candidate must possess outstanding financial and analytical skills, including budgeting, forecasting and long range planning. Comprehensive knowledge of the apartment industry is essential along with a proven track rack of success in designing and executing winning marketing and leasing strategies. Outstanding employee management skills along with the ability to manage competing priorities in a dynamic environment are essential. Also, the District Manager will assist in the selection and development of property employees.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: (include but not limited to the following)
• Provide leadership in your district and carry bottom line profit and loss responsibilities for your properties in addition to maximizing the financial performance of each property
• Personally inspect each property in the region on a regular basis (both scheduled and unscheduled visits), assuring the marketability of the community, both interior and exterior.
• Help your staff, including your property managers, set goals, guide their development and perform annual appraisals
• Assure compliance with all of company policies including but not limited to conducting monthly safety audits and general assessments at each of your properties to ensure they meet all company operational standards (i.e. visit properties on a regular basis as deemed by Operations Manager).
• Approve all properties purchase orders within region.
• Complete District Manager Checklist for each property monthly and forward to Operations Manager
• Respond to resident issues in a timely manner.
• Assist your teams in marketing and leasing property units
• Monitor move-out procedures as well as oversee and personally spot check turnaround standards, i.e. carpet repair or shampoo, painting and appliance repair, whether performed in- house or by outside contractors.
• Follow through on any incident reports involving properties in your portfolio
• Work closely with corporate accounting, marketing, human resource and other departments to meet your district’s financial targets.
• Prepare reports for owner, detailing cash flow, maintenance budgets, and marketing strategies. Coordinate format and content with accounting department.
• Review and inspect all capital replacement plans in the region, ensure all are within the scope of the Asset Business Plan and/or budget. Communicates with Supervisor for appropriate approvals as necessary.
• Analyze and evaluate personnel needs throughout the region, including management, leasing and maintenance personnel.
Review/approve salary adjustments from on-site personnel, upon recommendation from Supervisor.
• Monitor all contract work for large projects at sites and gather required proposals
• Enhance skills of existing employees for current and future responsibilities. Including but not limited to working with the Corporate Trainer to assure continuing education of staff through seminars, meetings and training programs and limiting exposure to frivolous lawsuits by arranging for proper training and ongoing education for on-site personnel
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or marketing
• 5 years of proven experience in the on-site management of multi-family real estate, including financial management to meet district targets, is essential to success.
• Proven success in managing a variety of properties
• Certification/designation (or willingness to achieve certification/designation) from real estate associations, such as Institute of Real Management or the National Apartment Association
• Must be familiar with the regional housing market
• General understanding of basic HVAC and other basic maintenance functions
• General understanding of Landlord/Tenant laws in the district of the portfolio
• Must have current driver license to facilitate travel within your district on a frequent basis is essential; including overnight trips to manage your properties.
• Advanced computer skills and proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Powerpoint)
• High energy level
• Organized, attention to detail
• Strong finance/bookkeeping skills
• Ability to exercise good judgment in decision making
• Strong Leadership skills ability to foster a positive team culture
• Good attitude, trustworthiness, personal integrity and honesty
• Good human relation skills demonstrating the ability to deal with Residents, Peers, Vendors and Supervisors
• Accountable for:
o Collections of 99% on all stabilized assets.
o Meet and exceed submarket occupancy.
o Meet and exceed rents of comparable communities in submarket.
o Maintain acceptable turnover and resident retention performance
o Keep abreast of legislation; limit exposure to litigations