Assistant Plant Controller
Michigan, Grand Rapids-Muskegon-
Provides timely, accurate and actionable periodic financial statements and reporting for manufacturing units that accurately reflect the operational results of the business. Accountable for the ongoing analysis of product costing, margin analysis and operational performance metrics.
What You' ll be Doing:
- Construct data accumulation systems for a cost accounting system; determine the appropriate points in the manufacturing process to collect cost data, determine the appropriate flow of information from procurement upon receiving, to general ledger, through production and shipping,
- Validate bill of material (recipe) and update the associated standard costs; analyze and suggest transfer pricing adjustments based on commodity price changes.
- Report of break even points and optimal run sizes by product, work center and facility.
- Report on margins by product and product category; report on variances and their causes (material cost & usage, labor cost and usage, etc.).
- Maintain appropriate inventory valuation in accordance with GAAP and analyzing opportunities for changes to inventory levels to improve facility profitability.
- Design process to distribute overhead to products based on appropriate drivers to facilitate product pricing and determine opportunities for cost improvement.
- Analyze capital requests.
- Period end reporting of financial results for manufacturing sites (P&L and balance sheet).
- Bachelor' s degree in accounting or related field
- 5+ Years of accounting experience with an emphasis in cost accounting
- Previous experience with new system implementations strongly preferred
- Specialized knowledge in activity based costing
- Working knowledge of lean six sigma and/or lean manufacturing is preferred
- Strong analytical skills to be able to determine root cause and solve problems
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office products, and other cost accounting systems
- Excellent communication skills across multiple organizational levels and multiple functional areas
- Ability to travel between facilities as needed